It is not just weight gain that can make sleep apnea worse, there are all kinds of factors that can make come into play. Here at Carolinas Dental Sleep Center, we are one of the top dental sleep centers that in Huntersville, North Carolina. We care about you and your health and in today’s article we are going to be talking about some the things that can make sleep apnea worse.
· Weight – Your weight plays a big role when it comes to sleep apnea. Having excess pounds can cause your airway to collapse when your muscles relax when you sleep. Heavier people normally have thicker necks and more tissue which will cause your airway to close off. We suggest that you try to let less and exercise more or try adding some healthier food in your diet. Loosing weight will not only help your sleep apnea it will also help with any other health issues you may have.
· Alcohol – Drinking alcohol can also make sleep apnea worse. When you consume alcohol, it relaxes your muscles and this can lose the muscles in your throat even more than sleeping does and this makes your airway more vulnerable to obstruction. Cutting down on drinking can help your sleep apnea.
· Medications – Certain medications can also make sleep apnea worse. If you are taking muscle relaxers this can make you sleep harder and deeper causing you to snore more and that can lead to sleep apnea.
· The position you sleep in – Sleep position can play a big role in sleep apnea as well. Sleeping on your back makes sleep apnea worse but if you try to change your position to your side it can make a big difference. Your breathing will get better cause it can open up your airway.
· Smoking – Using tobacco products are direct irritants to your airway and it can make your throat swell and this can make sleep apnea worse.
That’s just a few of the things that can make sleep apnea worse. If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea we suggest that you come into the office for a visit or call us if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. Here at Carolinas Dental Sleep Center, we take pride in our work and we have the skill and we are eager to get to know you. So please let us get to know you and call us today for an appointment.